Philippians 4:6-7 tells us that we shouldn’t be anxious about anything but pray about everything. Ev.er.y.thing!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. — Philippians 4:6-7
Here’s my translation:
Don’t worry about a thing. Nothing. Instead, pray through everything. Ask, seek, knock. Talk to Him in a running conversation all day long. Thank God for all of His goodness. Tell Him what you need and want. Give up control and leave it in His hands. And, that trust that you exercise by living wholly leaning on God will leave you with supernatural peace, His peace. It will protect you from freaking out and getting sick with anxiety and depression. Jesus has the power so have faith Him!
The list of reasons to pray is probably endless, but here are five solid reasons.
5 Reasons to Pray
- Prayer connects us to our loving God and builds relationship with Him so that we can become more like Jesus. (John 15:5)
- God answers our prayers! He’s a miracle-working Savior! (Mark 10:27)
- God deserves our gratitude and thanksgiving. (James 1:17)
- The Holy Spirit counsels (Romans 8:26), directs (Acts 11:12), teaches (John 14:26), comforts (2 Corinthians 1:3-4), and helps us fight temptation. (Matthew 26:41)
- Confession and repentance helps us live life unencumbered by sin. (1 John 1:9)
- Bonus: Prayer strengthens our brains!
When we don’t know what to pray or how to pray, we can learn! There are terrific studies on prayer to help guide us on how to effectively pray, understand the benefits of building a habit of prayer, and remind us that prayer is powerful.