Tip 6: Calling Out the Best in Others
Calling out the best in others is part affirmation and part invitation— affirming something in someone and asking them to keep bringing it into the group. It applies to both individuals and to the group as a whole.
• Hebrews 10:24—“. . . spur one another on toward love and good deeds”
• Romans 12:1–8—We all have spiritual gifts that we should identify and nurture in a group context
Why it’s important:
• Encourages us to be better people
• Points out places we can grow
• Helps us love other people
How to do it:
• See it: be aware of what others are doing in the group
• Name it: name or label it clearly—be specific, give examples
• Encourage it
Share Your Thoughts
Has your group struggled in this area? Share your stories and tips with fellow small group leaders in the comments section below.