Sign Up Now for the Restless Online Bible Study!
- Enrollment: January 19 – February 2
- Kick off Event: Live Chat with Jennie Allen, Tues. January 28 at 10 pm EST (optional). Register Now! Can’t make it? We’ll have an archive video for you to replay.
- Starts: Week of February 2
- Duration: 8 weeks, February 2 – March 23
About the Restless Study
Do you feel restless? What if this feeling weren’t a bad thing?
This feeling could be a longing, a restlessness for more of God. It could push us to move forward, to live epic lives that were designed before the foundation of the earth were laid.
What would happen if God got bigger than your fear and insecurity, and you spent the rest of your life running after his purposes for you?
In Restless, an 8-session, video-based study, you will look at the life of Joseph and see how his passions, relationships, and suffering fit into the greater story of God-and how your story can do the same. Bible Study teacher and author Jennie Allen walks you through a practical plan to identify the threads of your life and how to intentionally weave them together for God’s glory and purposes.
Restless explores this important question: “Do I matter?” And Jennie asks, “We live with lots of things, lots of people…but do we live for something?”
Filled with practical tools and biblical teaching, Restless will equip you to:
- Make sense of the seemingly random relationships and activities of life
- Redeem life’s hurts and scars
- Place your story in context with God’s greater story
The lessons in this study are engaging and interactive, offering in-depth Bible study, personal stories, and projects enabling the teaching to move off the page and into your life.
What You Need to Participate
- A Bible (or free online Bible resource, like BibleGateway.com)
- Restless Study Guide
- Restless Videos. This is an 8-session, video-based study. You can purchase the Restless DVD or buy and watch the videos week-by-week ($2.99/session) on-demand at Vimeo – for less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks!
- Optional: Restless, the nonfiction book
- Optional: The entire Restless DVD Based Kit, which includes the Leader’s Guide and Conversation Cards. If you’re planning on leading a small group in your home or church to coincide with our online study at FaithGateway, you’ll want the kit, which contains: one study guide, one DVD, one leader’s guide, and one set of the conversation cards.
- FREE – Watch for free first session 1, Restless (23:08) on YouTube.
- FREE – The introduction and lesson 1 of the Restless Study Guide
- FREE – The first three chapters of the book, Restless.
Each lesson in the Restless Study Guide is meant to be completed on your own during the week. These lessons may feel different from studies you have done in the past. They are very interactive. The beginning of each lesson will involve you, your Bible, and a pen, working through Scripture and listening to God’s voice. Each lesson will conclude with four projects you can do to help you further process how to live God’s Word. Don’t feel as if each lesson has to be finished in one sitting; take a few blocks of time throughout the week if you need to. The goal of this study is to dig deeply into Scripture and uncover how it applies to your life, to deeply engage the mind and the heart. Projects, stories, and Bible study all play a role in it. You may be drawing or journaling or interacting with the homeless. Each week on our blog you will have the opportunity to discuss your experience in working through that week’s lesson.
How the Restless study works at FaithGateway
Every Sunday you’ll receive an encouraging email from our FaithGateway community leader, Laurie McClure Hausam, who will lead you through your reading and video-watching assignments to help you prepare for the week. Laurie will be giving you that extra support that you need through the study, while sharing her personal faith journey as she goes through the study with you. With each Sunday’s email there will be a blog post companion at FaithGateway.com where you can join others who are doing the study in discussion. This will be the place where you can share comments online with others who are going through the study, but it’s a completely optional area. Some of you may simply want to work through your journal entries and responses in your study guide – and never even get involved in the online component – and that’s completely okay. You will not be bombarded with a ton of daily emails from us – the Sunday email will be the only email you receive from us all week.
Who is the Restless online study for?
- Anyone! Everyone!
- People who are going through the study right now (or in the future) with their small group but want the extra support and encouragement.
- People who aren’t plugged in to a small group or class at their church or in their community and are looking for an online community for Bible studies.
- Small group leaders or others in the ministry who want to check out the study on their own before leading their home group or church group.
- Teens & college-age students who are still trying to figure life out and what God is calling them to do.
- Empty nesters who are asking that question, “What next? God, where do you want to use me?”
- Women (and men) who are ready to see how God wants to take the seemingly mundane, messy threads of their life to weave something beautiful for His purpose and glory.
- You (we hope)!
Restless Study Schedule
Week 1 (Feb. 2-8): Introduction. Read the introduction of the Restless Study Guide (pages 11-31) and watch session 1 of Restless (23:08 minutes). If your materials haven’t arrived yet, both of these resources are available for free so you can get started right away!
Week 2 (Feb. 9-15): Lesson 1, God’s Story. Read the Restless Study Guide (pages 32-54) and watch video session 2 (23:21 minutes).
Week 3 (Feb. 16-22): Lesson 2, Gifts. Read the Restless Study Guide (pages 55-76) and watch video session 3 (23:21 minutes).
Week 4 (Feb. 23-March 1): Lesson 3, Suffering. Read the Restless Study Guide (pages 77-96) and watch video session 4 (22:43).
Week 5 (March 2-8): Lesson 4, Places. Read the Restless Study Guide (pages 97-116) and watch video session 5 (20:05).
Week 6 (March 9-15): Lesson 5, People. Read the Restless Study Guide (pages 117-139) and watch video session 6 (18:42).
Week 7 (March 16-22): Lesson 6, Passions. Read the Restless Study Guide (pages 140-156) and watch video session 7 (19:06).
Final Week (March 23-29): Lesson 7, Mystery. Read the Restless Study Guide (pages 157-178) and watch video session 8 (20:23).